Against all assumptions...

... my first few days in India have been charming and relatively straight-forward!

Here in Bangalore, a city of more than six million, I have been able to go about my business in peace and anonymity. My jaunts around the city including visits to
Urban Yoga, to get stylishly outfitted
The Leela Palace, for a relaxing aroma-therapeutic pedicure, to bring my hiking dogs back into sandal shape
Anokhi, a clothing store that keeps traditional textile patterns and arts alive, for some appropriately concealing Indian style tops.

I've been well cared for at 5th Avenue, a "serviced apartment" type guesthouse of six bedrooms, where I am the only guest. There are four staff waiting on me, whose lack of English is compensated for by their congeniality and and attentiveness. Though rather bland, the guesthouse is clean, air-conditioned, friendly, and quiet, in a residential neighborhood. Most importantly, it has wireless internet, which has kept me obsessed with pent-up surfing demand for the last two days (and has probably caused me to read too many India horror stories).

The people I've interacted with have been helpful, friendly, and kind. One fellow even located a "carton box" (cardboard box to you), packed it and sealed it for me for no charge, so that I could send some more winter clothes home (for $37, it will go by sea mail, arriving in CA in about two months).

Though I expected to be hassled here because of my foreign-ness and blonde hair, I've felt LESS stares than in Thimphu, where foreigners are still a curiosity. It's been nice to be in a bustling city where I can blend into the crowds.

Tomorrow, I take the train to Mysore. I'm a bit nervous about the reputed insecurity of belongings on the train (especially since I wasn't able to locate a lock and chain to secure my bags today - hopefully at the station tomorrow). I've been advised to get the highest class of service, and be alert at all times. I took the train to Mussoorie, in the north, a couple years ago, and don't remember all these warnings, but maybe I was just oblivious. I was also traveling with a small rolling suitcase, for two weeks in India, rather than a huge duffel bag and my laptop, which makes all movement a bit more cumbersome.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tell us about Mysore!

Popular Posts